ESMA in Brief
ESMA was established as the sole standardization body in the UAE under the Law No. 28/2001. The board of directors chaired by H.E. Dr. Rashid Ahmed Bin Fahad, the Minister of Environment & Water in the UAE is comprising representatives of the main parties involved in the standardization of the UAE. The board is the dominant affairs and lay down its policy and adopting all the suitable procedures to ensure efficient performance to its assignments.
ESMA tasks include:
- Formulating and issuance of national standards of UAE as well as adopting international standards and mandatory standards issued by binding resolutions of the Council Ministers.
- Working on consumer protection, environment and national market and strengthening the national economy.
- Preparation of standard specifications for reviewing by the specialized technical committees.
A national system of measurement and calibration.
- Follow up, monitor and advice on the application of standards adopted to commercial and industrial sectors around the constraints of conformity and quality.
- Granting the Emirates Quality Mark for national products and issuing
certificates of conformity of commodities to standards.
- Accredit various types of CABs including testing & Calibration labs, medical labs, inspection bodies, product certification bodies and certification bodies for QMS, EMS and FSMS.
- Issuance of the publications and distribution and selling of UAE standards and other informational activities.
- Represent the country in regional and international conferences and organizations.